Fri, Apr 01|
2022 Veteran Farming Conference
Veterans, military, and their spouses, join us to learn, connect, and network.
Time & Location
Apr 01, 2022, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
New Cumberland, 5079 Mifflin Ave, New Cumberland, PA 17070, USA
About the event
Veterans, military, and their spouses who farm will come together to learn, network, and make connections in order to make your farm more sustainable and profitable.
Due to space limitations, this event is not open to the general public at this time. Documetation of military service is required. If you are attending as a spouse, you must either be accompanied by the veteran or military member, or bring appropriate documentation.
Scheduled topics (subject to change):
- USDA programming (conservation technical assistance and funding, FSA loans, PACA protection, Rural Development funding)
- SWOT exercise: guided practice to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that affect the success of your farm or agribusiness
- Agricultural law that affects small farmers
- For Newer Farmers panel--learn what you didn't know you didn't know
- Goat and Sheep internal parasite control
- Emerging trends in the beef industry and Ask the Expert with Extension's Cheryl Ann Fairbairn, owner/operator of Lisnageer Farm
- Ask the Expert: Grazing and pasture management
- Farmer-to-farmer: Scaling up
- Hands-on social marketing skills (bring your laptop or tablet for this session.)
- Oh, Deer! Habitat management and ways to deter deer from decimating your delicious vegetable plot
- Information expo
- One-on-one consultation opportunities with technical staff from USDA
- Networking lunch: Connect informally with our presenters and those who farm what you farm (or plan to).
- And more TBA
Lodging: Blocked rooms at discounted prices.
- Comfort Suites Camp Hill-Harrisburg West, 100 Bar South Drive. Mar. 31-Apr. 1. $96 + taxes. Book by Monday, Feb 28. https://www.choicehotels.com/reservations/groups/JI53P0
- Hampton Inn Harrisburg West, 4950 Ritter Road, Mechanicsburg. $119 + taxes. Book by March 11. https://bit.ly/3uPHfFC
The 2022 Conference is provided with support from the USDA Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement, AgChoice Farm Credit, and Mid-Atlantic Farm Credit, Mark Muir, Mark Bruns Agency, Delaware Valley University Organics.
Conference attendees must comply with public health precautions in force on the date of the event. See venue regulations here.
Includes lunch and conference materials. There is a $5 reservation fee, refundable upon request if you attend. This is to cover the cost of catering which cannot be cancelled at the last minute in the case of no-shows.
Spouse of military/veteran
Sponsor must provide proof of service if we do not have it on file. Includes lunch and conference materials. There is a $5 reservation fee, refundable upon request if you attend. This is to cover the cost of catering which cannot be cancelled at the last minute in the case of no-shows.
This ticket is only for speakers/advisors. Use the promo code you were emailed and you won't need to pay the $5 reservation fee.