Sat, Apr 01|
Falls, PA 18615, USA
Growers Workshop April 1, 2023
Time & Location
Apr 01, 9:00 AM – Apr 02, 12:00 PM
Falls, PA 18615, USA
About the event
Begin the morning at 9 am at Rowlands Pennsylvania Produce, 598 Miller Lane, Falls PA. We'll tour the hydroponic greenhouse to learn about lettuce and greens production, organic method pesticide-free growing techniques.
Next, make the 5 minute drive to Hopkins Family Farm, 502 River Rd, Falls, PA, where the fourth generation of Hopkins have re-imagined traditional methods of vegetable and plant production using time-honored techniques at this successful diversified farm.
We'll finish with lunch featuring locally produced foods.
What you'll see and learn about:
- Managing a year-round, hydroponic pesticide-free operation growing seven different varieties of lettuce, kale, and other greens year round.
- Vertical tillage unit, no-till corn planter, and no-till bare ground planter.
- How traditional/hand methods of cultivation/growing have proven cost effective, while labor intensive, as compared with automated systems at Hopkins Farm.
- NRCS EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentives Program) conservation funding and technical assistance--on the ground projects
- Experimental 1 acre planting tomatoes atop cover crops to control evaporation and weeds, and nitrogen fixation in the soil to help reduce fertilizer costs.
- Diversifying with a cut flower operation
- Marketing lessons learned
The host farms are working agricultural operations; footing may be uneven and no pets are allowed.
This workshop is free to veterans, military, and their dependents thanks to the USDA Office of Partnerships & Public Engagment. Thank you, USDA!
Be aware that by attending this event, you are giving the organizer permission to record and use your voice, name, and/or likeness used with out compensation in print or digital form for educational or promotional purposes for eternity; and, that you release the PA Veteran Farming Network and its partners from any liability whatsoever of any nature. If you do not wish to be subject to the foregoing, do no register for this event.