Start or Sustain your Small Ruminant (Goat/Sheep) Operation workshop, Saturday, Aug. 8, 2020
Time & Location
About the Event
Day 2 of the workshop; attend Friday, Saturday, or both.
Target audience: established goat/sheep farmers or beginning farmers exploring raising ruminants for profit.
This workshop focuses on hands-on, practical, and interactive learning and will include a field walk over hilly terrain.
- Animal health and management with the angora goats on the farm. PANG veteran Ben Reisinger will lead participants in hands-on on techniques of animal husbandry (hoof trims, body checks, horn trimming, etc.
- Farm management: Grazing systems, Basic agronomy, fertilization, Forage plants and their merits
- The business of angora/merino goat operations (discussion/Q&A: wool production, quality, marketing, investment to profit, minimum resource requirements to establish a profitable small operation, etc.
Lodging is limited in the local area but the farm is located midway between Harrisburg and Selingsgrove. Camping at the farm is available and co-hosts Ben and Lynn Reisinger invite mil/vet attendees arriving Friday evening to a cookout on their farm Friday evening. See registration form.
Learn how our host farmer is a good steward of the land while running a profitable agribusiness: https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/grazing-glamour/
- Sold OutVeteran/AD/Guard/Reserve$10$100$0
- Sold OutGeneral Public$20$200$0