Fri, Jun 12|
Pleasant Lane Farms
Veteran Farm Workshop June 12: Pleasant Lane Farm
Visit Westmoreland County's newest bespoke cheese facility, dairy, and honey farm, and learn how the 3 generation Frye family farm has leveraged resources to sustain success.
Time & Location
Jun 12, 2020, 9:00 AM – 1:30 PM
Pleasant Lane Farms, 239 Phillips Rd, Latrobe, PA 15650, USA
About the event
Attendance is limited to 20 and remaining seats are now available to additional guests. This workshop is geared toward those who have been farming 10 years or less but all are welcome.
Following the morning workshop, sign up for a one-on-one consultation with NRCS or FSA staff to discuss your farm project.
FSA updates: Loans/microloans for land and operations
Rural Development updates: Prepare now for Value Added Grants and other programming
NRCS updates: How to get technical assistance for best management conservation practices like high tunnels, animal walkways, pollinator gradens; hear about explore cost incentives
Grants: 1. Grants 101--types of grants, how to find them, open or future applications
2. How the Fryes obtained PA grant funding for their cheese operation. Leverraging co-op partnerships.
Using business structures to your advantage to limit liability.
Liquid Gold: The story of a successful honey business
Field walk of NRCS technical assistance and payment incentive program at Pleasant Lane Farms
· Large several prong buffer
· Stabilized stream crossing
· Large diversion ditch to control run-off from field
· Improvements in barnyard to capture and clean rainwater and divert it from manure storage (gutters and downspouts direct clean water to the stream, while capturing rainwater that falls on manure and sending it through a vegetative filter before it flows to the stream).
Tour of Pleasant Lane Creamery
Afternoon: Optional individual consultation with USDA program staff (Tentative pending USDA staff being permitted to attend; at registration time they are scheduled to conference in).
Due to Covid-19 guidance, registration is restricted to 1 attendee per farm at this time. Should space allow, we will open registration at a later date for other guests.